Wednesday 13 July 2011

Genre Summary

Pop music is also know as 'popular music' and is aimed at a younger market. Music that is composed is usually short simple songs, where new variations of song are created from existing music that has already been composed.

As we have chosen to create a pop music video I have researched into a few music videos that have been produced for this genre and i have seen some very similar similarities. Many narrative shots are used within pop music video to make sure they are targeting the correct audience.

We have chosen to recreate Jessie J's music video for 'Who's Laughing Now'-



I chose this video as one of the videos that I was going to analyse during the research stage. I found that this meets its target audience and is directly aimed at them as the video is set in a school. Simple shots are used, for example all of Jessie's performance shots are in the same location. The narrative shots are a little more complicated but are shown well to keep the consistency of targeting their audience that they are aiming to target the video at.

Another Music video I chose to look at was Taylor Swift- You Belong With Me-



The whole video is made up of narative shots and presents a story all the way through about a girl falling in love with a boy. It is made up of many complicated shots and as I watched the video through a couple of times I decided that this was not really going to help me with my research because there were no performance shots to analyse. So I went on to look at Taylor Swift- Love Story



Which I found had both interesting performance and narative shots. The storyline behind this video was the same sort of story that 'You Belong With Me' was trying to present, so in that respect, both the narative shots in both of the Taylor Swift videos were similar.

Having both performance shots and narative within a music video is typical pop video that we would expect to see to fit in with the pop genre. Showing consistency throughout the video to keep up a storyline for people to watch, appeals massivly to the 'pop genre' target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment